I realize that the holidays are upon us. Christmas is right around the corner (less than a week away now) and Hanukkah is over. But if you are still on the hunt for the perfect present, I am going to go out on the limb here and suggest something that you may have never even thought of when giving gifts: artwork!
It makes sense that the gal who is always writing about art here on SG, would suggest something like that. But I really do think it is one of the best gifts to give (and receive) during the holidays. Let me make my case with a few reasons.
1. Its unexpected. Think about it. No one is going to expect you to get them a print or an original work of art. But if you pick the right one, you’ll be the greatest gift-giver ever.
2. There is literally something for everyone. No matter what your personal style or design philosophy may be, there is something out there in this world that you are sure to love, when it comes to art. Photography, illustration, mixed media, collage…
3. Its affordable. There are lots, and I mean LOTS, of price points out there. I’ve seen prints as low as $10 in some cases. I dare you to try to tell me that is not affordable. Of course, prices go up from there. And the average price for an 8×10 print (which is a decent size) is about $20- 30, which is still pretty reasonable in my opinion. Originals can be found pretty affordably as well. Especially if you go with an emerging artist’s work in a smaller size.
And just in case these reasons aren’t enough to convince you all on their own, I have visuals (in the form of budget-friendly gift guides)…
Giving Art without Breaking the Bank: Gifts Under $25
1. Gumball Machine 10×8 print by Katie Baum $20
2. Ship 8×10 print by You Sentimental Idiot $20
3. Floral Heart 8×10 print by Rifle Paper Co. $24 (5×7 available for $12)
4. Conjure 7 x 4.75 print by Dr Kebbedy Jones $18
Giving Art without Breaking the Bank: Gifts $25 – $60
1. The Straw Hat 7×9 print by Sarah McNeil
2. Attachments – Limited Edition giclee 7×7 print by Leah Giberson $35
3. Home 7×7 print by Freya Art $45
4. I Made a Dress, the Dress Didn’t Make Me original watercolor 6.5 x 8.5 by Annamaria Potamiti $30
What do you think? Will you be giving art this holiday season?
–*image credit Movement in Teal by Brainstorm Print and Design on LPP