Note: This post is best read with Lenny Kravitz’s “Fly Away” playing in the background. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
According to recent studies, we need vacations for our psychological and physical health. Time away lets our minds and bodies rest, giving us even more creative energy when we get back to reality. Unfortunately, more and more people are having difficulty getting away because of work, kids, pets, money, or other time commitments. Whatever the reason, you can now rejoice! The rise of the weekend getaway has come, and the internet is making it insanely easy to book a little last-minute R&R.
Whether you’re on a budget or want to blow your budget, here are some links to get you started planning your next escape.
- A rising star amongst frequent and budget travelers, AirBnB helps you find rooms, apartments, and even whole houses to rent for a night, a week, or a month, all around the world. Most of the listings are for private homes and are hosted by “real” people, not innkeepers or hoteliers, and users of the site can leave comments and ratings on the places they’ve stayed.
- Save cash by signing up for sites like Groupon and Living Social to learn about deals on one- or two-night getaways near you. You can use the money you save to pad out your getaway with things like a fancy dinner or concert and museum tickets, deals for which can also be found on both sites.
- Bed and breakfast lovers can find their ideal b&b at BedandBreakfast.com, an easy-to-use database that lets you search by city, zip code, or country. When you’ve found “the one,” search for specials at I Love Inns and BnB Finder.
- If you’re in need of some extra special pampering, check out Luxury Hotels of the World for deals on beautiful places to stay across the globe. Be sure to check their Special Offers page for last-minute getaways.
- Need more help planning your retreat? Sites like Escape Maker and All Getaways can help you find anything from outdoor adventures and craft beer fests to resorts and cruises.